Platform service is a category of cloud computing services that provides a platform allowing customers to develop, run, and manage applications without the complexity of building and maintaining the infrastructure typically associated with developing and launching an app.
Platform service can be delivered in two ways:
- As a public cloud service from a provider, where the consumer controls software deployment with minimal configuration options, and the provider provides the networks, servers, storage, operating system (OS), ‘middleware’ (e.g. Java runtime, .NET runtime, integration, etc.), database and other services to host the consumer’s application.
- As a private service (software or appliance) inside the firewall, or as software deployed on a public infrastructure as a service.
- It allows for higher-level programming with dramatically reduced complexity
- The overall development of the application can be more effective, as it has built-in infrastructure; and maintenance and enhancement of the application is easier.
- It can also be useful in situations where multiple developers are working on a single project involving parties who are not located locally.